Protecting your health from major and minor illnesses is one of the key benefits of healthy eating. The scientific relationship between food and health has been well documented. People consume foods and beverages that have a profound impact on their health. Evidence suggested that a healthy lifestyle, following good healthy eating can benefit people to guard them against chronic and long-term ailments throughout life.
To avoid an unhealthy lifestyle, energy intake should be balanced with energy expenditure.
Why Should You Eat Healthily?
- Researchers reported that eating healthy food can affect all your body cells and improve mental health including physical performance.
- According to the World Health Organization, healthy eating will not only prevent malnutrition and its related complications but also non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, stroke, heart diseases, and cancer.
- Studies have shown that a limited intake of salt (less than 5 grams per day) and free sugars (less than 10% of total energy intake) could be better choices for a healthy life.
Core Elements for a Healthy and Beneficial Eating Plan
Key elements that make up a healthy eating pattern includes
- Fruits & Grains
- Vegetables include all types such as green, orange, and red, lentils, starchy, and others.
- Protein foods include seafood, eggs, poultry, seeds, nuts, and soy products.
- Dairy products include fat-free or low-fat milk, cheese, and yogurt.
- Oils include food and vegetable oil.
Understanding the Macro and Micronutrients
- Carbohydrates: It provides 4 calories per gram. Sources include fruits, juices, all starchy foods, sugar, and some dairy products.
- Proteins: It also provides 4 calories per gram. Sources include meat, eggs, fish, and legumes.
- Fats: It provides 9 calories per gram. Sources include seeds, nuts, cheese, butter, and oily fish.
They always require in small amounts. The most common important minerals and vitamins include magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron, and all vitamins (A, B, C, D, E, and K).
How to Reap the Benefits of Healthy Eating?
1. Say no to Obesity
Approximately 70% of Americans are overweight or obese. Processed food usually contains a greater amount of calories in comparison with healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, and beans. A fiber diet is mainly important to maintain body weight within the range. Five to ten percent reduction in body weight may lower your blood sugar level, cholesterol, and blood pressure. Eating healthy food contributes to maintaining an optimum bodyweight that eventually prevents the occurrence of chronic illnesses. Such as
- Cardiac problems
- Health issues related to the bone
- Some cancers
2. Mental Health
The food that contains a high glycemic load may aggravate the symptoms related to mental illness such as depression and anxiety. Such foods include biscuits, cake, and white bread. Low glycemic food i.e. fruits and vegetables would be a good choice to improve your mental health and overall quality of life.
3. Improve Cognitive Function
Eating healthy diet benefits you by improving your mental capacity and cognitive functions. Your performance and daily routine depend on mental alertness, focus, and concentration. Antioxidants play a significant role to prevent the damage of brain cells and such antioxidants are abundantly found in fruits and leafy greens.
4. Mood Elevation
A healthy diet contains tryptophan such as fish and yogurt are associated with mood elevation because this tryptophan will be converted into serotonin. Increased level of serotonin in the brain is linked with improved mood.
5. Healthy Heart
Cardiac problems are the leading cause of death in the United States of America and almost 50% of the US population live with heart problems. It has been reported that most cardiac problems can be prevented by adopting a healthy lifestyle and nutritional diet. According to the American Heart Association, a fiber diet helps to improve blood cholesterol and reduces the risk of obesity, diabetes, and stroke.
6. Lowers the Cancer Risk
The presence of free radicals in the body could be the reason to induce the risk of cancer. Antioxidant-rich food prevents the formation of free radical and ultimately protect the cells to damage. This mechanism of antioxidants can reduce the risk to develop cancerous cells in the body. Fruits and vegetables containing Vitamin A, C, and E, lycopene, and beta-carotene can act as antioxidants.
7. Improve Diabetes
Control your blood sugar level is the key to improve your diabetes. To prevent and manage the diabetic condition is one of the greatest benefits of healthy eating. According to the American Diabetes Association, a beneficial diet for people with diabetes is as follows;
- Green leafy vegetables
- Fatty fish
- Whole grain
- Citrus fruits
- Probiotic yogurt
“Good food choices are like good investments.”
8. Prevent Osteoporosis
A calcium and magnesium-rich diet can improve your bone health and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Calcium-enriched foods include broccoli, cabbage, legumes, low-fat dairy products, and cauliflower. The best sources to provide optimum magnesium quantity are green vegetables, whole grain, seeds, and nuts.
Your health must be your topmost priority. Be careful, your energy intake should be balanced with energy expenditure. Avoid processed/canned food and make your diet plan in such a way to incorporate all the key ingredients required for better health.