How to build self-esteem and confidence? Do you want to improve your confidence and self-esteem? Are you willing to break the wall of fear and achieve what you want?
Well, the fear of failure is the only thing that can stop us to pursue our dreams. This fear could be due to a lack of self-esteem and confidence. It’s something we all face at any stage of life to some degree. We must break the wall of fear and come out of this to achieve our goals. Most of us consider self-esteem and confidence are interchangeable but there is a fine line of demarcation. Self-esteem is your opinion about yourself and if you believe in yourself that would be your self-confidence. All of us need to learn and understand the strategies to build self-esteem and confidence.
“If you do not value yourself in the first place, you should not expect other people to value you.”
What Are the Causes of Low Self Esteem and Poor Self Confidence?
Our parents, teachers, siblings, friends, and media can affect us in either a positive or negative manner. Such problems mostly arise in childhood which could be due to stressful life events such as the death of someone close to you and divorce, trauma, or abuse. Parenting style is also an important factor in this scenario. If you compare your child with others or always disrespect in front of other family members, that would be trouble in a long run for your child.
Facts and Figure
- It has been reported that approximately 70% of the girls believe that they are not good enough in terms of their performance, looks, and relationships.
- Studies suggested that girls have four times more negativity to regret at the end when they are allowed to take part in sports or other activities with boys.
What Are the Characteristics of Low Self-Esteem and Lack of Confidence?
In general, a person with low self-esteem and poor confidence:
- Get too personal, when someone criticizes constructively. That could be in a job, place or your educational or training institute.
- Not able to give an opinion during any kind of conversation.
- Changing decisions very quickly even on small things. Such as what food to eat and what kind of clothes to buy.
- Always ready to get involved in negative discussion very easily.
- Look at other’s achievements and pay more attention to such people.
- Self-blame even on small mistakes.
- Poorly handle if someone gives a good compliment.
How Low Self-Esteem and Lack of Confidence Impact the Quality of Your Life?
Poor confidence and low self-esteem can reduce your quality of life in such a way:
- They may avoid challenges.
- Such people always doubt their abilities.
- Neglect themselves and give poor attention to personal care.
- Always face relationship problems.
- Try to become a fine liner to be a perfectionist.
- Over-stretch themselves in every unnecessary task.
- Aggravate mental health problems.
- Self-harming attitudes such as drug abuse, too much alcohol, and attempt suicide.
How to Build Self Esteem and Confidence?
It’s not easy to improve self-esteem and confidence in yourself, especially when people put you down. In this challenging world of life and business, we have to learn and build up our confidence and self-esteem.
Let me share some tips that will help you to boost your self-esteem and self-confidence.
1. Count Your Blessings
You have to develop a list of your strengths, attributes, qualities, and achievements. Keep this list in your pocket or drawer or any safe place. Try to read it every morning before starting your day.
2. Achieve Your Goals
Try to focus on your goals and targets rather than measure yourself against someone else’s. The key advantage of this habit is to save your time and build your attention and focus.
Yahoo… For what? For every small achievement. Your small victories always boost your self-confidence and improve self-esteem. Let me tell you one more thing, not only just enjoy your attainments but also celebrate other’s success.
4. Take Care of Yourself
Do you know? Who plays the most important role in your life? The answer is “You”. Spend some time on your own, eat a healthy diet, adopt a healthy lifestyle, exercise regularly, pay high attention to your physical health, mental health and personal hygiene, meditation, enough sleep and do what makes you happy.
“Self-care is the best gift you offer to yourself.”
5. Positivity Is Contagious
Remember, positivity is contagious same as your smile. Try to avoid negative people and their vibes. In case of any failure instead of saying, I failed or didn’t perform well, you just need to learn and then move forward.
6. Practice Assertiveness
Assertiveness is an interpersonal skill that allows you to stand confidently for yourself without humiliating other’s opinions. You must respect other’s view and their needs. You have to give your viewpoint without being aggressive and passive. This is the way to get what you want from others.
7. Take Risk and Challenge Yourself
Without getting involved in a condition that stretches you, it’s very difficult to bring your potential outside. But, it needs your patience, sacrifices, and time. To boost your confidence and self-esteem, you should come out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself.
8. Setting Healthy Boundaries
A general concept about people with low esteem, they always say “yes” without giving their opinion. It’s very important to improve your self-esteem by setting a realistic boundary. You must have an idea where you have to say “yes” and when you need to say “no”.
Boosting self-esteem and confidence is a process and not a single event or point you get to in one step. Start building your esteem with small footstep today with these tips and soon you will achieve your targets and feel more confident.